If you are a control freak like me, you’ll know that delegation is a BIG decision. There are lots of things to consider. The question of what to delegate should be easy but often isn’t.
You want to delegate things that…
- you don’t like to do
- slow you down or sap your energy
- cause you to be disorganized
- draw your focus away from the things you’re really good at
- require a certain expertise to get quality results – and you are lacking that expertise
- can be grouped together for easy delegation
The cost of delegating isn’t always money. It could be an exchange of your time for someone else’s. It could be a mixture of both; for example, a lower cost may mean that you have to spend more time managing the activity.
For a small business owner, delegation might take one of these forms:
- Hiring employees
- Using casual labour
- Exchanging services with colleagues
Originally published in Work Better, Not Harder on October 27, 2011