You want to start strong and the way to do that is to make a personal connection with your readers. While there are many ways to make that connection in each issue, your first issue is where you set up expectations about the value you'll provide. It's often the point at which subscribers choose to stay or go.
Here are some things you might want to include:
- Write your introduction to your ideal client.
- Acknowledge that this is your first issue and that you appreciate your readers' attention.
- Tell readers what they'll be getting and how often. Outline the benefits of staying subscribed.
- If you have added your customers and business contacts to your subscriber list without their express permission, acknowledge that you have done so and why you have. (For example, you might say that they have bought something from your store, or you met at a networking event.)
- Tell readers that it's easy to unsubscribe via the footer in this and every email.
- Ask for feedback and suggestions.