Here are some of the things to keep in mind, especially if you are planning to have new photos taken.
- Your headshot should look like you now, not 5 years ago.
- Wear similar clothes to what your ideal customer would wear.
- The direction you're facing in the photo generally dictates where the sidebar will go in your newsletter. You don't want to be looking off the page. For newsletters, a right sidebar is more desirable, so a left-facing or front-facing photo is preferable. Of course, this is the opposite of how you want to be facing for LinkedIn and Facebook avatars.
- Wide banner-like panorama photos are popular now across the top of website pages. An example might be someone standing on a beach with their head in the foreground and a slightly blurred background of the water and beach behind them. These panorama photos are also great across the top of newsletters as a nice alternative to the usual sidebar headshot.
- Working your brand colours into your clothes or background is great, but only if you look good in those colours.
- Consider your branding style when deciding on the background. For example, is being isolated on white important to match the rest of the branding? Are dark or bold colours needed? Or more subdued?
- Have 2 or 3 different photos and change them out in alternate newsletter issues, or by season, to add variety.