Here's How to Get Inspired
- Read other people’s articles. I may learn something new that I can share. I may agree or disagree with the author. Either way, I've got something to write about.
- Call a friend or client. You may want to prepare a couple of questions in advance, such as “What puzzles you most about what I do?” or “What’s the biggest benefit you get from working with us?” Or you might just wing it.
- Think about processes. Write step-by-step instructions that are simple and easy to follow. Use screenshots or images if it makes sense.
- Review old blog posts and articles. I often find ideas that I can expand on or tangents I haven’t explored.
- Recall recent experiences. What happened this week that you can write about? What conversations did you have? Who did you meet? What did you learn or read? What did you start or accomplish?
- Walk in the garden. If you don’t have a garden, walk down the street. (Doing this inspired an article about how my business is like gardening.)
- Take a hot shower. I don’t know why but, for me, this really works. The problem is that I haven’t figured out a way to take notes in the shower!
Originally published in Work Better, Not Harder August 22, 2013