|photo by :::Derek:::|
Now that I have your attention, I’d better earn it, right? We've all heard it said that advertising is buying people’s attention. Content marketing is all about earning that attention by providing value to readers.
There are a lot of different types of content that can mean value to readers. You have to really determine what your target market wants. And that requires gathering intelligence and strategic thinking. Not just doing it once either, but continuing to stay attuned to your readers’ preferences. Once you earn attention, you need to continue to deserve it.
Past success doesn't guarantee future success. Don't let your content strategy get stale.
How do you continue to deserve attention?
- Watch your statistics. If your readership dips, be curious and investigate.
- Pay attention to unsolicited feedback and also seek out feedback. If you want to do better, people are generally willing to give advice and opinions. As with any feedback, don’t react without investigating further.
- Stay current. If your information is outdated, it won’t take long for your reputation to become so too.
- Be accurate. Everyone’s an expert these days. Make sure you differentiate between fact, opinion and hearsay.
- Have a polished presentation. That means no spelling errors, no broken links, and easy to read.
- Seek out inspiration. Learn new things. Have an open mind. Be inquisitive. Read lots. Ask questions.